How it works

The point of this blog is to generate challenges to provide my life with adventure, personal growth, and to meet people in interesting ways. In order to do this, I need challenges. I expect it to take anywhere from a week to two months for me to complete my challenges, whether because I am preparing for some one-time event at the end of "training," because the opportunity to complete the challenge isn't a daily thing, or that is how long I need to do something.

To submit a challenge to me, reply to any post. While challenges can be as simple as "Do _____ while ______ing," but I would also appreciate more information, such as a suggestion of how long I have to complete my challenge, approximate costs if I have to buy all of the equipment involved, anything else that seems useful. After evaluating the entries, I will post about a few of them, and the ones with the best responses will be added to a poll to vote.

While I do reserve the privilege to decline challenges I do not see to be in line with the spirit of my adventure, I will give serious consideration to all submissions.

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Nerdy Me

So I have a few friends that are really into Minecraft (and a few that are highly opposed to it). One of them decided it was sufficiently worth trying that he paid for my copy (so I could play online instead of the free single player account). At first I kind of just dinked around digging a really long tunnel and looking for stuff. This past weekend, he had me join him on a special server: Pandemonium.

Here's the scoop
The basics: normally you can break most blocks (the whole terrain is blocks of something and you can break all of them except the bedrock) on the surface by hand and you can then place them to build things. Monsters only spawn at night, in caves or unfortunately well shaded areas and burn in the day. When you die, you just click a button and you're back to playing, minus what you were carrying.

On this server: you start in a giant desert. Ok, lots of sand. Well, you can't actually pick up the sand because the server has a mod (modification for the less tech savvy) that makes many blocks not drop resources if they are not broken with tools. Even then, they don't always drop resources. So start the game and there is nothing to work with. Well, then there's the matter that some of the monsters stay around during the day without burning. And there's more of them than normal. In addition, they randomly spawn near you (which normally doesn't happen since they have to be outside a radius around you to spawn). To make matters worse, zombies now break many kinds of blocks to get at you.

My friend told me most players don't last more than a half hour without dying until they can get some kind of base set up. At least he told me that before hand. But if you die on this server, that's it for the night. You get a fifteen hour ban, since it's a hardcore server. In many cases this means restarting since you lose everything you had on you. I have heard that there is an area past the desert if you find the right dungeon to venture into.

No comments:

Post a Comment